Friday, January 25, 2013

decorating for Halloween....

It's never too early, right?

Halloween fabric scallop bunting

Remember the Curves Class I signed up for?  One of the first week's projects was this scallop bunting.  I chose this project mainly because it was the quickest & required the least amount of shopping for extra supplies {time and money were both in short order about the time class started}

But honestly, bunting really doesn't do much for me.  I had a hard time deciding on fabrics, thinking that I wasn't going to want to hang this up when it was done, and I didn't know anyone I could gift it to.  It crossed my mind to make a Christmas version, but I didn't have enough Christmas fabrics left.  And besides, I really need a break from Christmas  ;)

Halloween fabric bunting

I thought about a baby girl version, with a specific new little one in mind, but I wasn't sure if the parents would want to hang it up in their nursery.

{ideally, I would have vacuumed before taking pictures.  but if I waited for the ideal situation, I'd never get anything done.  so please pardon my dirty carpet}  :)

Anyway, I went stash shopping, and somewhere in between fabric flying out of drawers/cubbies/bags etc I found my little bundle of Halloween fabric. Perfect!

These were set aside for a quilt, but I don't think using these little bits will mess up those plans much  {we won't mention how long these fabrics have been waiting to be turned into a quilt.  Or that I ended up prewashing 9 yards of fabric for a project that needed 2 FQs}

black cats, owls & bats, oh my!

my 7 year old helped sew the final stitches on the double fold bias binding, and our first Halloween decoration is currently hanging in the living room!  :)

I love when a project turns out so much better than I anticipated!

I'm linking up to some fabulous parties:
Crazy Mom Quilts; Richard & Tanya Quilts; TGIFF @ Made in Home; Whoop Whoop Fridays; Pieceful Life's show off Friday; A Stitch in Time; Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday & Sew Cute Tuesday

12 comments:

Anna said...

I love how it turned out! Those prints are fabulous- especially the cats :) Well done!

Celtic Thistle said...

You had better make sure you remember where you put the bunting when Halloween comes around!

Very neat curves too!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Looks great!

Fiona said...

I believe that you can never have enough bunting in your life. I have to make some for Halloween this year too. Good job on your curves.

Jana said...

So very festive. Love those little owls. Your curves look great.

Lynette said...

I love the orange fabric with the black cats!

Sarah Craig said...

Very cute, Allison! And just think how early you are for Halloween!! Whoop whoop!!

Live a Colorful Life said...

It's cute!

Paulette said...

That turned out cute! You have some cool Halloween fabrics for sure. Great curves, so smooth.

Heather said...

Oh, that turned out SO cute! Love your halloween prints. They'll make such a cute quilt whenever you do get around to it. :o)

Stella Nemeth said...

Sometimes we just make stuff because we want to make stuff. And sometimes we make stuff because we need to learn a new technique.

Shawn Stephenson Schumacher said...

Wow so cute... Halloween already?