Monday, March 12, 2012

It's Done! IT'S DONE!!!

My Drunkard's Path Quilt is DONE!  And you better believe I'm doing some serious celebrating!

I took it out for pictures, just like I promised :)



That's my Mom, modeling the quilt for me at the beach :)
Here it is crumpled up & loved, like a quilt should be:


it measured 60"x60" when the blocks were pieced together, and I was conserned that might be too small for cuddling under, so I added a 3" border of Kona Coal all around, bringing it up to 66" square.  That boarder is the main reason I didn't go with the striped layout I had been considering - I thought it would look odd beside the end stripe with the Coal background. 


The fabrics are Happy Mochi Yum Yum {so much more awesome than my photos show} & Kona Coal.  Some blocks have repeating fabrics like that one up there, and some don't.  I was trying to create some visual interest, similar to an antique scrap quilt, with only six fabrics and the background grey.  I think it worked well, if I do say so myself :)


I quilted with a light grey thread in random straight lines.  I'm not in love with the quilting, but it meant I didn't have to mark the top first, which was a big plus.  I ran out of spray halfway through basting {again} and I just wanted this up off my kitchen floor.  As much as I love my quilts, after 24 hours on the floor, they start to get in the way ;)

The backing is to die for.  A flannel shirting from Joann's, it is so soft I can't stop stroking it!  this quilt may have even gone to church with me.  ahem.
I started this quilt as part of a QAL with Needle and Spatula & OCD.  If a DP is on your list, but you haven't taken the plunge yet, you really should go check out their instructions.

Oh, and I've even made a lable this time! {usually when I finish a quilt, I'm so ready to be done I don't make a lable} I used a leftover DP unit and 'embroidered' {i'm using that term lightly, since I have no skills in this area whatsoever} the date & my initials in the grey.  It hasn't found it's way onto the quilt yet, but soon ;)

I'll be linking this baby up at:
Sew Modern MondayManic Monay, Quilt Story, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Whoop Whoop Friday, TGIFF @ The Niffty Stitcher,  Crazy Mom Quilts, & A Stitch In Time March Finishes
Whew! thats alot of partying, but I think this quilt is worth it ;)  {did I mention this is the first quilt I've made for ME? this babys not going anywhere! haha}
Go check out what everyone is sewing :)

37 comments:

LisaAnn said...

Lovely! I have wanted to try a drunkards path but so far have not. It looks so difficult! Yours turned out very pretty!

Al said...

So gorgeous. And Yum Yum fabric! I still need to get my hands on that.

Sew Sane Jane said...

fabulous pattern and colors! I love bright colors with a grey background.

Kristy QP said...

Gorgeous! Loving the fabric choices. I love the Drunkard's Path pattern but have not yet tried it.

Heidi Grohs said...

Beautiful!! I love the grey and the flannel looks good enough to cuddle under!

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

This is delicious!! So well done! Found your blog from Canoe Ridge Creaions' Sew Modern Monday. Amy from www.craftyshenanigans.blogspot.com

Celtic Thistle said...

Your quilt is gorgeous, congratulations!

Pat Merkle said...

Oh wow, great quilt!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Love a helpful mom, willing to model a quilt. And your location is stunning too!

Okay, that was super enthusiastic, but true. Really well done.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I just LOVE the Happy Mochi Yum Yum that I keep seeing pop up everywhere in different patterns, and your DP is just GORGEOUS!!! So fresh and modern. *swoon* LOVE. xo

Cherie said...

Looks amazing!! Loving your fabric choice! =D

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

What a fun, modern take on Drunkard's Path! Love the setting by the sea, too! I found your blog through Quilt Story. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

It is so beautiful, Allison. I haven't tried a DP, and I'm so tempted. I'm still a bit scared of the circles - both cutting and sewing. :) I love the Kona Coal with your fabrics. BEAUTIFUL!!

~Michelle

shelitha2 said...

WOW! These look really great!

Deanna said...

And I was just thinking how much I liked the straight line quilting...Nice finish. The bright against grey is really striking.

Karen said...

Really lovely, the grey really makes the colours pop, they really are yum yum! :o)

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

So pretty! You did a beautiful job!!

Carla said...

Oh it's wonderful and I love the quilting : )

Bouts Choisis said...

Wonderful quilt - love the colours. Enjoy your celebration - you deserve it!

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Wow! great quilt. congratulations on a super finish. I love the photos with your mum displaying the quilt. Looks like you live in a nice part of the world. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF.

em's scrapbag said...

Love the circles, color and well everything about this quilt. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! A soft backing can make all the difference! Great job! Whoop! Whoop!

Ginette said...

Beautiful! I love your fabrics!

Kat said...

So beautiful! I haven't tried anything with circles yet but seeing this finished makes me want to very badly. Great job!!

M-R Charbonneau said...

A beautiful quilt in a beautiful setting! I've been wanting to try that fabric line -- it looks great with the Kona coal. Congrats and thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

Miri said...

Great quilt! Love the brights with the Kona coal!

Pattilou said...

It's just perfect for cuddling! Nice choices all around!

Quiltn Mama said...

Bet the church ladies were way jealous ;)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and what "yummy" fabrics! Your mom did a great job modeling it by the water. Beautiful view!

Sharon M said...

What a cool quilt! I see another DP in my future. Found you through Lily'y. Will be checking you out in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Taryn V. said...

Gorgeous quilt! I really want to try the flannel shirting for a back now. Love super soft backings! I know what you mean about the quilts getting in the way! I have a top on my office floor and my bedroom floor that I have been walking around for a few days now!

Cutie and Company Quilts said...

Beautiful!!! I love the it!!!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Aww, I love it, love it, love it! Beautiful colors, well done! :) The beach is the perfect place for the pictures.

Sarah Craig said...

That is so wonderful - I don't blame you for celebrating!!! Whoop whoop whoop!!!

Elizabeth said...

Wow. Really, WOW! I love your fabric choices. You did a really great job and you should say so yourself ;). That is an amazing quilt! I love the quilting on it and the backing does look amazing. Beautifully done. Thank you for linking up!

xo -E

Carin@Ullhärvan said...

It's beautiful! I love it!

Caryn said...

Gorgeous! I love the simplicity of your design and you really did capture the old time patchwork feel. It definitely looks like it has more than six fabrics!