Thursday, February 2, 2012

a finish & some progress


I made this tote bag for my Mom.  I didn't measure it, but it finishes somewhere around 16" H x 22" W x 4" D. 


Almost all of this fabric has been in my stash for years now, and it feels great to put it to use, especially since I think my Mom is going to love that cat print.

Ages ago, I saw a beautiful blue & white quilt and decided I just had to make one, too.  I bought 7 FQs and a yard of the cat print, and they have been sitting in my stash ever since.  Mostly because I wanted to make a large quilt, and needed more blue & white fabric.


I didn't have a large enough piece of fabric to make the lining, so I cut pieces of four FQs for the lining - I really love how it came out :)  The pocket is 12" square.

{I'm feeling so clever, turning the bag inside out to get pics of the lining :) }

here is the other inside pocket:



The only fabric I bought is the print for the handles and the bag bottom.
I'd really like to use up as much of my stash as possible, it doesn't make any sense to let fabric sit unused in my closet, and this bag moved 1 yard & 7 FQs out.  I think that is a good start :)


{I love how this print is supposed to imitate old china}
Even though I'm showing up to the party late, I'm going to link up at Lily's Quilts Small Blog meet-up.  Have a great Thursday!

*edited to add:  the pattern I used is called Quilt Camp Tote by Penny Sturges.  I did make a couple changes.  If you want to make this bag and want to know about my changes, e-mail me and we can chat.  I've made other versions of this bag - you can see them here, here, and here.

i'm going to do a little more linking, too. { because linking is fun :)}  check these out:

Crazy Mom Quilts    Amylouwho Sew & Tell    TGIFF

18 comments:

Heidi Staples said...

I'm visiting through Lily's quilts and saw your cute bag! I need to get around to making a bag myself one of these days...

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Beautiful - I love all these blues you're using :)

Kristy QP said...

Lovely bag! I especially love the cat fabric!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Hi Allison! Love the bag.. great job. :o) It looks like it could almost be reversible. Happy Thursday. xo

mtnquiltr said...

Love the tote! Did you use a pattern, or are you able to make such a nice bag without?!

Celtic Thistle said...

Love your bag, and nearly all from your stash! Even better :) Your mum will, undoubtedly, be delighted

Domestic Kat said...

ahhhhhhh I love cats! This is sssooooo cute!

Saying hi from Small Blog Meet

Karen Smith said...

Hi from the small blog meet. What a nice tote. Love the cats!

Lynette said...

That *is* really cool cat fabric. :D

Becky said...

Love the bag and the cat fabric! I actually have a yard of that myself!

Dayna said...

Lovely tote! I really like the inside, too. (Clever you.) ;-)

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Pretty bag - my daughter loves the kitty fabric.
Glad to see I'm not the only homeschooling mom who squeezes in some sewing time! I have to - it's my sanity at stake!

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Lovely bag - I'm sure your Mum will love it. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF. :)

Jean said...

Great bag! And guess what...I am from NH too. It is great to find another quilter/blogger from the same state.

Mary said...

Very nice! I am always at a loss what to do with these FQs I seem to have collected. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

JG said...

What a gorgeous tote bag! Your combination of blue fabric looks great. Now, I need to search into my stash. :) Thanks for visiting my blog.
~Judy

diane said...

Love the bag! Very pretty. :)

Cheryl in Friendsville said...

Gorgeous bag!